Thursday, March 12, 2009

Being a boss is a tough job

"Shit flows downwards," my Group General Manager reminded all the executive committee members.


Being a boss is a tough job.


When I was a computer operator and a marketing executive, all I had to think about was how well I did my job and how well I got along with my boss. Now that I became a boss, things are completely different - I have to manage a group of people with very different personalities and needs. I still have a job and a boss, but I have much more to think about. I'm constantly worrying about the 10 people who report to me - how well they're doing their jobs, how well they're getting along with each other and how well they're getting along with me.



To use a military analogy, the war looks a lot different to generals than to troops. And troops say things about generals they never say to them.
From left: Jiaye, Grace, Let, Eleen, Donna, Nadeem

No comments: