Monday, March 9, 2009

Acknowledge positive contributions

"I never expected it at all," Stephie glowed. "Didn't expect to be given the award."

Numerous studies have shown that when people love their jobs, the amount of money they earn is 4th - 6th in the list of what's important to them. Alternatively, when people hate their jobs, money is #1

My 22 years in the corporate world has taught me that people seek validation and acknowledgement. Nothing feels better than a public pat on the back.

It's tough being in charge. There are always lots of daily crises and it's generally problems - not the wins and the victories - that come to the leader's attention.

I always try to publicly acknowledge those responsible for good news, as one of my mentors, Mr Lau put it "find the pony buried in the manure and publicly acknowledge and thank the pony."


Award winner Stephie (front row 4th from right holding red box)

No comments: