Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Alone but never lonely

"When are you going to get another child? Your son will be so lonely." I have constantly been bombarded by that question..as though getting another is like popping in a coin into the baby vending machine.

Loneliness is a common problem which can affect any one of us, at different periods in our lives, in different ways. No matter what your age, profession or economic status, loneliness can touch you. There is no immunization shots that can keep it away.

Living alone in modern society is not easy. This is a group social culture in which we live in. We move through life in groups. We work with others. We are in classes in school. At least a part of our leisure hours are spent in some kind of group activity, such as bowling. We also attend events, or a concert, or a musical, religious services, or stand on the curb to cheer the F1.

But what are you going to do when these activities end and you must go home alone? I travel on business a lot and alone. I dine alone and spend weekends and evenings alone on these trips. But I do not succumb to loneliness.

I become my own best friend.

You can't be happy if you are alone with someone you don't like or respect.

I enjoy myself as a person. I keep myself mentally alert through reading. I find things to do to give myself hours of fun.

Remember - if you find yourself interesting, others will find you interesting too.


ACE...the one and only

No comments: