Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Braveheart - my favourite movie and icon

One of my staff is sulking because I am deliberating on her leave application. (Not that I have a habit of mucking around with someone's leave application.)

I have always maintained over the previous 20 years that leadership is not a popularity contest. I always focus on the task and goal at hand and work on getting my people to focus on the mission.

Like the movie Braveheart, where William Wallace leads the charge, I always lead from the front, ...unlike some movies we watch where the general says "charge" and then watches the battle neatly propped up on a horse from afar. One of my previous guru put it aptly, "your people are like a piece of spaghetti. You can't push it. You've got to get out in front and pull it."

As a leader, I used to domineer. Now after years of refining, I try to maintain a delicate balance between pushing and guiding. I know realise that in dominating, I need not domineer. I lead my team. I do not rule them.

1 comment:

shariel said...

Braveheart is one of my favourite movies too! I guess when one is a leader, one can't make everybody happy. Many talented people are doing too many things "half well", leaving their lives "half finished" instead of completing a few things fully and moving forward. So I agree with your being focused... :)