Monday, October 6, 2008

Expressions and impressions

"Eating the durian," Jen urghed, "is like eating the most delicious custard in a public toilet." The durian's claim to notoriety is that it is the world's most misunderstood fruit.

Speaking about being misunderstood, image is a real reflection and what's going on inside us. If you feel you might conquer the world, it shows. If you feel the world might conquer you, it shows too.

We form impressions of people we meet everyday. "She's a class act," we might say, or "I don't know why, but I don't trust this guy."

On the flip side of the coin, when people meet us, the impressions they form about us might be the one we want them to have or it may be quite the opposite of what you intended. In a business setting, that might make a difference between getting a job or being eliminated in an interview, being taken seriously or thought of as a lightweight, between getting ahead or being stuck in a job rut.

By now I have realised that my progress and success in the world, particularly in the business world, is closely correlated to the way others see me, and no less important, the way I see myself. There is also another element - the way I would like to be seen.

Image is not a way to fool people into thinking I am someone other than who I really am. It is a useful tool that can help me express, honestly and genuinely, who I am and what I have to offer.

No comments: