Monday, October 13, 2008

Surviving hard knocks

Yesterday morning, my brother called me, on the eve of his 35th birthday, to announce that he has successfully completed his MBA. On a separate note, my own 9 year old recently achieved a distinction for being the top 3% of students in Singapore for a science assessment from UNSW.

In school we are taught to how to read and write, and how to add and subtract. Those are vital to learning and getting along in the world.

Where are the classes for dealing with the loss of a job, the death of a loved one, the failure of a relationship? No wonder so many people feel lost and alone when they are going through hard times. No wonder many turn to alcohol and even suicide. How many times have you heard someone in distress say, "I can't see a way out."

Life has tested me and I have not always responded with the courage and determination that I'd like to claim. I don'thave all the answers all the time. No one does.

I survived 15 years of chronic bronchitis and asthma and I survived a broken engagement and I survived a brace of financial meltdowns. I am stronger for the experiences, wiser and more determined than ever to celebrate all that life throws at me, the good and the bad. I look forward to the rest of my life with such relish.

I hope by reading this, you will feel the same way.
The lion king- a great story about surviving the hard knocks in life.

No comments: