Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Conquering fear the nike way

Last night as I tucked him into bed, my little nipper expressed his fear and dislike for his Mother Tongue teacher and also his fear of forgetting to do his homework. This morning as I shuttled him to school, I gave him a little pep talk.

Many people allow fear of failure to get the better of them emotionally and it stops them from achieving their dreams. Prior negative experiences cause a person to develop a fear of failure.

Let's face it. Failure can be very painful. Seeing part of your vision fall flat really hurts. And if people heap ridicule on top of your hurt feelings, you feel even worse.

Remember one thing: your failure does not make you a failure. To conquer fear, I normally feel the fear and take action anyway. Whatever it is I know I should do, I just do it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I grew up being tossed around from one family to another, finally ending up with my current parents. Living with different people, I had to conform to different expectations. Fear became me especially when neither the environment then, coach nor teach, but chastised my every mistake, at whims.
Well fear became me until a guy told me that fear is basically False Emotions Appearing Real. These emotions are not from within; they are forged on us by others and circumstances. Thus, should not be relied to as one would with instinct. Nonetheless, they appear very real. In fact, to a many it is real enough to shortchange their own destiny, compromised what they are meant to be or stifle their quest for happiness.
I will not feign superiority to claim that I do not encounter fear now. I still do. Understanding fear by eliminating what "appears real" makes it chewable. Of course not all terrifying encounters are clouded by false perceptions. I know I may face one that is inevitably fatal one day. When that day comes, let that day bury its own dead. Today, I decide to live and let live.