Thursday, October 2, 2008

Goldenballs and I

Aug, 1996.

I was watching on television, Manchester United play Wimbledon. A Man Utd player whom I'd only seen play once the previous season (and he played well then too to catch my eye) receives the ball just inside his own half, and spotting the Wimbledon keeper far from his goal, unleashes a terrific shot that dips more than 60 yards into the goal. Astonishing!

David Beckham. How many of us know him? We all have a clear perception of him. When we think about Beckham the brand, we must start by considering Beckham the product. What is it that he has done so well? Dedication and commitment are themes that surround his football skills. The fact that he is passionate about his sport and an exemplary dedicated professional is the essence of the Beckham brand.

Quite a few years ago, I decided that I want more out of my life, my career and my relationships. I'd worked hard, tried my best but don't seem, at that time, to get the opportunities that I wanted or felt I deserved. Why is it much easier for others? They don't seem to put in half the effort but seem to breeze through.

As a marketing man, I started by defining brand Paul Er Inc., the values I wanted to project to others and learned how to live them by the way I look, sound and act.

Now, I am confidently saying this: You don't need to win the lottery, have cosmetic surgery or a personality transplant to achieve your dreams. It's only a matter of learning techniques used by top performers, business people and, OK, even some politicians and by observing successful, confident people who we meet everyday and analysing what they do that we don't.

I adapt my image and my behaviour to suit different situations. We do need to be chameleons.

Besides, you know how terrific you really are - it's just that the rest of us who don't get it ...yet.



Becks (left) and I

No comments: