Saturday, February 20, 2010

No power in intention

"Life is like a game of Monopoly," SH uttered words of wisdom. "You may own the hotels on Mayfair. But in the end, it all goes back in the box. The next generation will be getting out of your stuff and playing with it or fighting over it."

I recalled a story Andy once told me:
5 seagulls are sitting on a dock. One of them decides to fly away. How many seagulls are left?
4?
No.
There are still 5. Deciding to fly away and actually flying away are 2 very different things.

There is absolutely no power in intention. The seagull may intend to fly away, may talk with other seagulls about how wonderful it is to fly, but until that seagull flaps it wings and takes to the air, he is still on the dock. There's no difference between that seagull and others.

"I intend to change, but I didn't," "I meant to finish this work on time," I was going to be there for your birthday..."

How ironic it is that we often judge ourselves by our intentions but judge others by their actions. Yet intention without action is an insult to those who expect the best from us.


No comments: