Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Mum! Dad! Your baby turns 45!

"You'll be happy to know..." the damn email (I suspect it's a spam) started. And after reading it, I was no happier.

We all need all the happiness we can get in life. Some people get married to be happy; some get divorced to be happy. Some run away from home to be happy; some go home to be happy. If there's one thing besides money almost everybody wants out of life, it is happiness.

A very practical way to be happy, is to help enough other people to be happy. If you sit and wait for other people to make you happy, get ready for a long, long wait. So often, we wish we could be recipients. Then we would be happy. But, as in the spirit of Christmas, the true joy of living is to bring happiness to others. There's this story I heard before:

A young boy was admiring a brand new Bentley and asked the owner who was standing near the car, "Must have cost you a lot, sir."
"nope," replied the owner. "My brother gave it to me."
"Wow," the boy said. "I wish....."
The man interrupted him, "You wish you had a brother like that, right?"
"No, sir," the boy replied. "I wish I could be a brother like that."

Another thing I've learned in my 16,436 days soujorn in life is, as the saying goes: "better to light one candle than curse the darkness." And guess what, these candles cannot be put out by anyone else.


No comments: