Monday, December 14, 2009

Choosing who we choose

"Should I listen to my heart or my head?" Stephie asked after taking a sip of her lychee martini. "Should I go with Sam who is kind, romantic and caring, or slog on with my current beau who is none of those?"

Why do we choose who we choose? What draws us to one person and not another? Why is it worth persisting with a particular person?

In an EE seminar I'd attended, I was asked to think of what qualities attract me most in a partner. Outgoingness? Humour? Gentleness? Commitment to strong values, emotional honesty, physical health, energy, creativity, sensousness?

When we find the person of our dreams, we tell our friends: "She's so full of life," "He's caring and organized and I feel really secure around him."

I believe there is a great partner for everyone who wants one. If you are anguished by the search, I suggest you 1st take a long look at whether there are any wounds of old relationship which you need to let go.

Reasons why
Our love is the long lasting kind
We've been together quite a while
I love you for so many things
Your voice, your touch, your kiss, your smile

You accept me as I am
I can relax and just be me
Even when my quirks come out
You think they're cute; you let me be

With you there's nothing to resist
You're irresistible to me
I'm drawn to you in total trust
I give myself to you willingly

Your sweet devotion never fails
You view me with a patient heart
You love me, dear,no matter what
You've been that way right from the start

Those are just a few reasons why
I'll always love you like I do
We'll have a lifetime full of love
And it will happen because of you

- by Joanna Fuchs

No comments: