Thursday, November 27, 2008

The forbidden fruit

"I almost crossed the line," Sarene recalled. "Our urban world is full of temptations."

The dull and predictable rut in many couples' lives often wears them down. Dangerously so.

"I occassionally find myself envying, and even resenting, young couples I saw in evenings of frivolity and heaven knows what else," Chris confessed.

As a friend recounted, it started so deliciously different, so fresh and exhilarating as dinner with good company. Just to talk. And then one thing led to another, and the particulars are private.

When I made the promise 12 years previously to love, honour and cherish, I had never dreamed that marriage, even passion, could become old hat. But it can, and it does. It is a delicate plant, and without constant attention it begins to wither under the heat of everyday life.

Love is a 24 hours decision.

No comments: