Friday, August 14, 2009

This feeling. Is it loneliness?

"Sherman is lonely,"Soo Ching said after her soup before starting on her aglio oglio. "He has too much freedom."

"I don't party like I used to anymore since I got married and the two kids," Ivy proclaimed. "I go home before 4.30am nowadays."

When I first began to travel extensively many many years ago, I was so excited and anxious to experience this glamorous life. I was able to visit places that I had only dreamed of before. All the time, I travelled alone.

The glamour faded fast, especially when it was time for another dinner alone.

As I experienced my loneliness, I became overwhelmingly aware of how much loneliness my wife had to live with because of my life-style. I was putting her off until I could squeeze her into my world.

I'm sure this is true for all men, but for me, I had to see my own self-centredness to recognise my belief that my world was more important than my wife's. I see how I controlled our relationship by putting her off to suit my needs in my timing.

I have, ever since, grew and developed and have become more aware and sensitive in our relationship.

No comments: