Friday, August 21, 2009

Pride at work

"I have been in my position for 3 years already," Kendric said at the event in Ben & Jerry's. "Time for me to start looking around, but the market is very soft right now."

Very few people in this age do the kind of work they like to do. Instead of choosing their jobs freely, they are forced by economic necessity to work at tasks that fail to satisfy them.

We play badminton to get exercise; but we play the game as well as possible, just for the joy of doing the thing well.

I believe that legitimate pride in doing work well relieves it of much of its drudgery. I have always held this standard and I always get a thrill from the job I do. I get the satisfaction of "a job well done" when I cannibalise business from my competitors or I watch the business grow over time like watching a baby grow.

No comments: