Monday, August 17, 2009

The passing of a great man

My mentor, coach and beacon when I was just starting out in the corporate world, Mr Lau Kong Beng, ex-MD of HSBC Finance, passed away last week. Yesterday was his funeral.

Uncle Lau had been strickened by a heart problem for the past few years. He died of peumonia and lung infection.

I'm glad I had a telephone conversation with him on 22nd July after not having seen him for the past couple of years. Then he sounded cheerful and upbeat.

I think much of a person's grieving must be related to the kind of relationship he or she had with the lost loved one. And so each grief must be individual. The pain is not different: we miss the person, wish they were still with us, feel the emptiness. But maybe what triggers that grieving feeling differs with each person. I don't know. I'm just guessing.

No comments: