Saturday, January 23, 2010

The 4-letter F word we don't mention in public

Ex-Manchester United player Bojan Djordjic was in Singapore for a pre-season tour with Swedish ChampionsAIK Solna. "Ryan Giggs reminds me all the time then, don't forget what are the things I'm good at," he recalled what he learned at United. "Instead of playing safe all the time, thinking 'I'm just going to pass it'. When the safe passes go wrong, you can't show what you're good at."

What's a 4-letter word beginning with "F" that we don't mention in public? We're talking about fear - something everyone's got and no one admits to.

I remember when I was a kid lying in bed in my darkened room. In the shadows, things weren't so clear and everything turned scary. The cap on the chair came alive; the toy soldier in the corner became a ghost. In uncertain situations the same kind of thin happens.

Most people, myself included, who thrive on change usually do a reality-check. "What's the worst thing that could happen if the situation doesn't work out?" By quantifying the risk, we shift the way we look at things from a fear-based to a reality-based perspective. Everything's a matter of perspective.

No comments: