Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Relationships are not self-sustaining

"I am glad I have you to talk to and share with during the difficult days I went through," Maria expressed appreciatively.

This is a vital point I have acknowledged: even though my marriage is supposed to be my primary and most important relationship, that relationship is not self-sustaining. Marriages needs outside input to really thrive.

I love to look at successful marriages that have made it 40 or 50 years. Not that all long marriages are, by any definition, successful. There are long marriages that seem more like a prison sentence than a blessed union.

But when I find an aging couple who are still crazy about each other, who still date, who sit close together, and who still kiss, I try to learn something for my own marriage.

No comments: