Monday, April 27, 2009

The headline

"We need a headline that grabs you by the scruff of your neck and says, 'Look at me!'" the late S.H. taught me.

Surveys concluded that readers look at a newspaper page an average of 4 seconds before turning the page. In those 4 seconds they look at the news headlines 1st.

All ads, or flyers or brochures that I do, I try to say something in the headlines that makes them want to stop and keep on reading.

In my 21 years in sales and marketing, I can summise that there are only 2 things that people buy: solutions to problems and good feelings.

Words that work in headlines are words like new, free, how to, amazing, guarantee, you, now

Ads with headlines that promise a benefit are read by 4 times more people that headlines that don't have benefits.

Marketing a beach resort is no different. People are interested in the fun time they can have. Not in our accommodation room and beach.

No comments: