Tuesday, August 26, 2008

To dad and mum with love

"I have been living my life for my parents. My dad died last year. My mum recently had a stroke that left her paralyzed. I suffer in silence. can't show my emotions at home. Mostly I cry in the car on the way home," JC lamented.


Parents. I have loved my parents and hated them, been enraged with them and anguished for them, laughed with them and cried for them. And I wondered whether others felt as I did.


In their late 60's, I now have new responsibilities for their lives as they now begin to need my help. Every previous role is up for renegotiation. There is a change in the balance of power, changes in the nature of love.


I find myself protective of my parents in new and disquieting ways. Just as I was once under their umbrella, they now seek shelter under mine.

No comments: