Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I am my own best friend

"The problems with my marriage started when I was posted to Shanghai for 4 months," RT recalled. "Then I went to Macau to work, I met this lovely school teacher."

We cannot survive if we depend on someone else for our happiness. We need to find our own happiness, in ourselves. We must become our own person and quit depending on our spouse, or someone else, to make us happy.

Heng, my legal adviser told me that our divorce courts today are overcrowded with husbands and wives seeking divorce simply on the grounds that their marriage gives them no happiness.

Marriage is not made up of two halves trying to become whole. Rather, marriage consists of two whole people. I don't think marriage will ever work unless each party maintains his or her own identity, finds his own fulfillment and discovers his own source of happiness.

I am not saying we don't need one another. But I strongly say and believe there can be no lasting happiness if we expect others to create it for us

1 comment:

shariel said...

Paul, this is an excellent read! I agree with you. Almost everyone I know thinks "what can I get from him/her?"... "what's in it for me?".. but they never ask themselves "what can I give to him/her?"... or what can I contribute to enriching his/her life? We live in a world full of selfishness and me-ism..... that I believe is the main cause of failed marriages.