Thursday, January 13, 2011

The "legend" I grew up with

Dad turns 72 this Sunday.

When your father is well-known in his profession the general public in that industry views him as bigger than life. And as much as I wanted to be like my Dad, I didn't want to compete with the "legend"for fear of not making him proud.

My father had little formal education (he didn't make it in his O levels) He put great stock in education and had a great love of reading. He always stressed a good education to me.

In my early 20's, I took up a job a sales job in the same industry as Dad - in insurance (He was a MDRT winner for a few consecutive years). That was when I discovered I had no reason to feel intimidated or unworthy when it came to my father and his reputation. I was my own person with my own style, which has grown, developed and matured with life experiences.

Today, after more years as a sales leader (now in the hospitality industry) than I care to admit, I'm delighted the "legend"I grew up with no longer holds me in awe, but instead fills me with gratitude. I know how lucky and blessed I am because I loove what I do.

Dad, ACE and Mum

No comments: