Monday, May 10, 2010

Look to give

"I broke up before I got posted to Dubai," Jason declared. "When my posting ends here soon, I have no one to go back to."

All of us to some extent are enduring agonies of loneliness and frustrations.

I once asked a psychiatrist friend of mine "How can you teach people to love?" His answer was mildly surprising, to say the least. He answered the question by asking one of his own: "Did you ever have a toothache? Of whom were you thinking during the distress of the toothache?" His point was clear. When we are in pain, even if it be only the passing discomforts of an aching tooth, we are thinking about ourselves.

This is a pain-filled world, and so, a loveless world that we live in.Most of us are so turned-in by our own pains that we cannot get enough out of ourselves to love to any great extent.

"Happiness depends on what we give, not what we get" - Gandhi


No comments: