Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Life's passages

My son was adamant that he doesn't want to go on his shcool excursion to beijing in May...until I had a man-to-man talk with him over the weekend.

Nothing is harder for a parent than getting our kids to do the right thing. There is a such a rich variety of ways for us to fail: by using threats, by using bribery, by using reason, by using example, by using blackmail, or by pleading for mercy.

Turning the tables around, the question is: why should we listen to our parents? especially when we grow older.

Here's why: we gain wisdom to avoid the hard lessons our parents had to learn.

As our parents give me advice, I sometimes, put myself in their position. When I am their age, would I rather be treated as a constant burden or respected as a blessing to the family?

No comments: