Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I want to learn more

"Hi guys, when is our next meet? March 26th Friday 7pm, ok?" Jaya emailed to a list of us from St Joseph's School Class of '81. That email brought me back to my secondary schools days for a few seconds.

Looking back at it, I only really became a student after I finished school. I suspect that is true for most of us. Education was a means to an end; it allowed us to work in the shop of life.

I am not being critical of our educational system. For the most part; it equips us to be productive. Only when i hit my 30's did I finally begin to understand that life becomes richer when we are students and narrows when we stop learning.

One of the great tragedies of civilization is the transformation that takes place in a child's attitude toward learning. At some point in the schooling process, they pass from childlike learning eagerness toward learning to a passive resistance toward gaining knowledge. Perhaps it is inevitable.

I am unashamed to admit I don't know everything, and that I want to learn more. I am willing to become an amateur in a field I haven't mastered.

No comments: