Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Living with the aged

I visited my granny last weekend. It would be one year on Boxing Day next month that she is immobile due to a fall.

Everytime I vist her I do an eyeball evaluation of her well-being. Each time I look at her lately, she appears thinner and more frail.
Living in a body that is slowly losing its function, her will is the last remaining thing that my granny can truly control. She is losing her vocals. She is losing her ability to walk.

Whatever happens to my granny becomes my parents' and my aunt's responsibility to address. They have to deal with difficult logistics, with supporting and nurturing her through another physical insult to an already battle-scarred body. For 90 years gramps has made decisions about her body and her life. Without our help. We need to respect that. And I do.

No comments: