Monday, October 5, 2009

Accept yourself

I watched "The Twilight Samurai" on SQ972 this morning. Set in the late 19th century, Seibei Iguchi is a low-ranking samurai whose wife has died of tuberculosis. With two daughters, Kayano and Ito, and an elderly senile mother to support, he and his family must survive in austerity. The moment that his daily work as a clerk, in one of the clans' warehouses is over, he hurries home, refusing to drink or eat with fellow colleagues. Behind his back, his fellow samurai tease him and nicknamed him "Twilight Seibei". Just as Seibei begins to dream and think that despite his impoverishment he might win the hand of his childhood friend Tomoe, he is caught in the shifting turmoil of the times and is assigned, against his wishes, by his superiors to confront and kill a renowned warrior on the wrong side of a clan power struggle.

Liking ourselves is essential to a healthy love of self which is the basis for loving others. How can we love others when we can't love ourselves?

The turning point in my life has been when I'd accepted what has been given to me. It may not be as much as I'd might like to see, but my growth started when I accepted what I have and where I was starting from.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello there,

Thanks very much for your interesting blog. It's always nice to see how people on the other side of the globe live, how they share the same joys and sorrows, what they do in their free time, etc.

I actually have a question about your blog. Would you mind helping us with a linguistic research project? We're compiling data from various Singaporean weblogs. All it requires is checking a few boxes. If you want to take part and/or have more questions, I'll send you the 'official' project eMail. We'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks very much in advance!
Best regards,
- Fran

PS: Can't wait for Obama's appearance at the climate conference!