Thursday, September 10, 2009

In control, not under control






I bought "You don't look like 50 Charlie Brown" book from Delhi recently.

Some parents make too many decisions for their children. They want to protect their children from making a wrong choice. This is understandable but I feel it denies the child opportunities to learn. Making choices for children may also give them the message that they are incapable of making their own decisions.

With me and ACE, some things are required: getting good grades, helping around the house. Some things we will negotiate: TV programs, snacks. I give him full authority in some choices: sports, school activities.

I always believe that if you force control, they do not learn to master being in control. Being under control, they do not develop self-control skills and habits, and as a result, they are out of control.

No comments: