Saturday, March 10, 2018

What do I wish to be remembered for?

President for Life? Xi Jinping May Now Be China's New Emperor. Newsweek's headlines blared following China’s Communist Party announced a proposal to abolish term limits for its highest office

Life is like a game of Monopoly. You may own hotels on Mayfair or you may be renting on Pall Mall. But in the end, it all goes back in the box.

Dying people know this. Their belongings or assets or what they have achieved are of no consequence whatsoever at the end. What occupies the thoughts of dying people are how they lived their lives, what they did and if they had made a positive difference to those they left behind.

I'm sure we've all heard that 40 is the new 30 or that 50 is the new 40. I'm here to tell you it's a lie! Contrary to what the media wants us to believe, 50 is the same old 50 and 40 is the same old 40.

Now past 50, what once looked like eternity ahead of me is now within reach. And while I do not fear the end of the game, I do want to make sure I finish well, that I leave something behind no one can take away from me.

I do not know where you are in the game. If you are in your 20s, you have probably just started graduate school or a job and have an exciting game ahead of you. Much of what I write will seem far off to you. Many youth regard old age as a foreign country.

Now this is true: Life expectancy is increasing, medicine is always making impressive advancements, and many of us have committed to healthier diets and more physical exercise. And yet there is no guarantee that you're going to live a long life. You could still get cancer, have a heart attack or get into an accident of some kind.

In truth, we don't control when we come into this world, and we don't control when - or how - we leave it. The only thing we control is what we live for. I'd rather live for a cause, than just because.

I don't think any of us likes to think about "leaving." I sure don't. But we all know what's coming - why not make the most of every precious bit of time we're given?

 

No comments: