Saturday, March 24, 2018

Personal brand worthy of imitation

Former Liverpool and England player, Jamie Carragher spat at a 14-year-old girl in the face. He was being goaded by her father, a United fan, after Liverpool's defeat to Manchester United recently. He was also caught on camera.


Today, so much of what we put out into the world lives on forever and can be seen and heard by the masses.

My point is that everything we do - or don't - is examined in all quarters. From the way we dress to our speech patterns to what pictures are at our workstations. If you are a leader, people are going to follow you. Everything you do - or leave undone - takes on greater meaning because of your position.

By nature and occupation, I am a talker. I enjoy having my say. For the longest time, I would never dream of conceding an argument. I'd fight for my opinion until my lungs gave out. But now I've learned that I don't have to have the last word - and sometimes I don't even have to have the first!

It's best not to have enemies, but if someone crosses you in  manner that requires you to fight, take it to them, but do it with honor and integrity. If you win, move on, be humble and don't rub it in. If you lose, or it turns out you were wrong; admit it, apologize if necessary and be a gracious loser.

To develop a strong personal brand, we must act with care, kindness, compassion and integrity. This is something that has been lost on current generations as countless young people push their way through crowded streets and walk through doorways held open for them without a simple acknowledgement or thank you

As much as we can control our own fate, we're still what others say about us.

 
 

No comments: