Saturday, March 31, 2018

How to get buy in on decisions

The world is at the brink of an all-out trade war. The Trump tariffs were imposed, despite his aides warning just how costly the move could be, meeting after meeting. Then China launched petro-yuan which evoked a surge in global prices for oil and is seen as a blow to the US dollar.

"ASKHOLE": A person who constantly asks for your advice, yet always does the opposite of what you told them.

We've heard about such people and there were times I am guilty myself. People hate feeling ignored. Unfortunately, when we ask for input and appear to ignore it, people feel frustrated, and devalued.

The truth is that most people will work with a decision when they are clear about what is required and why the decision was made. It doesn't mean they have to love it. They're adults and don't expect every decision will got their way.

We save ourselves grief, misunderstanding and hurt feelings when everyone knows up front how the decision will be made. When someone says, "you asked for my opinion and then ignored it. I don't know why I even bother!" he/she was under the impression that the team would decide by consensus when in reality it was the leader's decision. This type of confusion wastes heaps of precious time and energy and sucks the soul from the team.

As a leader, I am conscious about maintaining a delicate balance between pushing and guiding. In decision making, sometimes I might dominate, but I do not domineer. I lead the team. I do not rule them.
 
When you are a sales leader, you have to make decisions with the information at your disposal, rather than what you wish you might have. For this reason, I was often perceived of making snap decisions. I never had a problem reaching a decision based on imperfect information. That's just the way the world works. 
When I was young I made many more impulsive decision than in my later years. I also made some ill-considered decisions that I came to regret. There were occasions where hesitancy cost me. Whichever way, nothing beats the lessons on decision-making imparted by the accounts of the way Winston Churchill saved Britain from the Nazis. The new PM's decision to fight rather than talk was courageous – and right.












 












No comments: