Sunday, October 30, 2016

Learn by doing

I attended a 2-day training program in Macau last week.

Other than rocket science, we don't need to be born with exceptional abilities nor be super-talented to master something. All it takes is to get on the path and stay on it. Only by being immersed in the process that we will come to know the road. All that's required is taking the first step.

Here's a fascinating point: all infants are successful. When you were a baby, trying to learn how to walk. Did you ever thought of quitting? Did you ever say to yourself: "You know, it looks like I may just not be cut out for walking. Oh well. Guess I'll have to crawl for the rest of my life..." Of course not. Constantly falling down was really uncomfortable (it hurt) but you kept at it anyway. Why? Because that's just the way we're designed.

I constantly ask myself: Are there any situations in my life today where I've given up and decided to keep crawling for the rest of my life?

If so, why is it so difficult, so impossible, to do something today that I had no trouble doing when I was less than a year old?

The answer is as simple as it is sad: somewhere along the way, we lose faith. We become too grown-up to take baby steps. We gave up on the universal truth that simple little disciplines, done again and again over time, would move the biggest mountains.

The stepping out of our comfort zones is kind of like stretching. Obviously, all growth involves some stretching. What some of us fear to try, others may find very natural and easy. For me personally, speaking conversational Mandarin is a typical challenge. For some friends I know, the challenge is different: giving a speech, disagreeing with a boss, learning a musical instrument. What have you always wanted to do, but were afraid to try?

We acquire deeper wisdom through world lessons than we do through word lessons. World lessons teach through experience. Exeperience involves the journey. A book can point the way, but we must still make the journey. The lessons of experience are always positive, even if the experience is not.

And eventually, when we ourselves become worthy of emulating, we should serve as a guide to others. In Macau, Rauf Malik told the story of how he grew from bellman to Vice President. I, myself, started out as a lowly computer operator, working shifts. The cream has become butter - and now we're the mentor.

Pope Francis has this to say, " Some think that they are important because they are more knowledgeable than others; they want to lord it over them. Yet what really makes us important is a love that understands, shows concern and embraces the weak."

Is there a member of your family or team whom you pay less attention to because they aren't as "smart" as you are? Reach out to them today with sincere interest in their life.






No comments: