Sunday, October 16, 2016

It's not always about you


Luke Cage is Netflix's latest hit series. I find Luke Cage especially cool because what makes Luke so different and special, even amongst himself and all other superheroes, is that he’s out there in a modern, realistic world, alone, with his name and no mask.

Never doubt that a single, thoughtful, committed person can change the world. because one person, by his/her committed consistent, actions, will have a ripple effect that will in time created a thoughtful, committed group of thousands. Or millions.

In my 40's I began finding that I had a passion for paying forward - the knowledge, the mentorship, the personal growth and development, and the success.

Some people seem more naturally disposed to looking for goodness than others, and I have to admit that I am not one of them. Patiently seeking the good isn't always that easy, especially when things don't go how we would like them to or when people hurt us deeply. However, those who believe people are basically good seem to be happier than those who believe that they are not.

I am determined to develop the habit of seeking the good in everyone and everything. That doesn't mean I will always find it. From time to time, I know I will be disappointed. But I will strive to make this my first inclination, my default position.

I have a friend in Kuala Lumpur who is among the busiest people I know. I have known him for twenty years now, and whenever I talk to him on the phone or see him in person, our time together never ends without him asking, "What can I do to help?" At first I thought he was just being polite, but over time as I have come to know him and the way he lives his life, I have learned that he lives to serve others. He has taught me to keep perspective on my own role and responsibility as a leader.

Some people spend their whole likes serving themselves, their petty interests and selfish desires. Have you ever receive a call from a friend who has not spoken or contacted you in years, only for him/her to ask you a favor or for some information?

President Obama puts it this way: "When you feel as if what you're doing is not about you and your success, but delivering for people who put their hopes and faith in you, then you don't want to disappoint."

 

No comments: