Sunday, October 2, 2016

Reframe to stay cool, calm and collected

In Hong Kong last week, Elva told me about her moving from her home in Hangzhou to study in Australia and eventually she landed in Hong Kong to work. As she spoke, I thought about my relocating from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore.

The physical act of moving helped me see that some things in my past need to be discarded; some things need to be kept and treasured. The days of slowing down and handling both types of artifacts forced me to reflect on the various seasons of my life. Maybe we shouldn't wait for a move to do that.

Just like flowing water is soft yet powerful, it is yielding, forceful, flexible. It surrenders to gravity without resistance, adapting to the shape of any container. I have since learned that water reveals the most intelligent and powerful response we can make in any circumstances. Growing up, I was taught to fight for what I believe in - to never give up. I am not advocating passive toleration for what we don't like, or ignoring injustice, or allowing oneself to be victimized or controlled. I can't pretend to appreciate the flu, or bullies.

Life doesn't always give us what we prefer. So, at the basic level, the secret of feeling good is simply to accept reality, and what life puts on our plate, no matter how "shitty" or "inconvenient" it may seem at the time. Is this easy to do? Hell, no. Our first instinct will always be to be disappointed, get pissed off, or throw a fit when things don't go our way.

I am learning to embrace and make use of my situation, in a spirit of appreciation. To accept both satisfactions and letdowns in the spirit of growth. By shifting my perspectives. I am intrigued with the idea of surrender - of letting go at the right moment - not as defeat or loss, as it is frequently thought of, but as a positive intuitive way of living.

This is a habit I am working very hard to develop: to reframe my perspectives to see that life is not only about getting what I want, but also learning to want what I get. In the hope of a better way to be.


 

No comments: