Sunday, July 10, 2016

Give best efforts no matter what the outcomes

"Winners never quit and quitters never win" I saw this quotation today at the library. The game of poker has taught me sometime different: Winners do quit, and quitters do win.

There is a time to quit. It comes after you've tapped some reserve of hidden strength and courage when it seems you have nothing left in your tank. It comes when you have exhausted your mental and physical resources. To keep absorbing punishment would be foolish and masochistic. You stop hitting your head against the wall and live to fight another day. So you quit fighting the battle just so that you can win the war.

I realize that many people in this world have had to overcome adversity to get to where they are. My story is not much different.There's a period of six months when there's non-stop blow after blow of injustice, setbacks and unfairness. In addition to the discouragement I felt, my frustration was at an all time high. At this point, I must tell you two of the most important lessons I learned from those and other challenges that I have faced:
1. don't dwell on disappointment - determine to do your best anyway
2. we don't always know what's best.

This has taught me in a very clear way that we can't allow people and events to ruin even a minute of our day, much less our lives.

No matter what our desires or preferences, the universe will do what it pleases. We cannot control whether we win a game, find love or succeed in business. I can only make the effort, the outcomes are not mine to control. I am beginning to learn to let go what I can't control. Sometimes strength means holding on, and sometimes it means letting go. I strongly believe that this is the key to living in balance.

This is the bond that links successful people. Success without adversity is not only empty...it is not possible.

No comments: