Sunday, July 24, 2016

Energy management instead of time management

The National Sleep Foundation has this to say: "As a nation, the United States appears to be becoming more and more sleep deprived. And it may be our busy lifestyle that keeps us from napping. While naps do not necessarily make up for inadequate or poor quality nighttime sleep, a short nap of 20-30 minutes can help to improve mood, alertness and performance. Nappers are in good company: Winston Churchill, John F. Kennedy, Ronald Reagan, Napoleon, Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison and George W. Bush are known to have valued an afternoon nap."

Let's face it! There are 24 hours in a day. It doesn't matter how much money we have, or who our father is, 24 hours is all we get. We don't need more time; we need more energy.

For us leaders today, it is not about managing time. We wouldn't be where we are if we did not have any notion how to do that already. However, if we don't manage our energy, we may find that when the time to do something important, like negotiate a high-value deal or go to the movie with a loved one, we may just not have the energy for it.

If we do not eat, we will die. Sleep is also one of our physical needs. If we do not sleep, over time we will become delusional. But we don't just sleep because we have to. Sleep refreshes us. Sleep energizes us. Sleep heals us from the stresses of daily life. When we view it from this positive perspective, we maximise the effects of sleep.

From the collective wisdom of hundreds of elite athletes and medical doctors, I now realize the most important issue regarding sleep is when we sleep. It is not also the case of the longer the sleep the better. It's about the quality of sleep.

Our modern world works against this in so many ways. When I was twenty eight, like a great number of people, I upheld lack of sleep as a source of pride. Like them, I convince myself that to be successful, I must sacrifice sleep and rest - I even believed this to be heroic.

Over the past five years, I have taken control of my life and adopted a regular sleeping schedule. I have seen it work in my life, and I have seen it work in the lives of others. I feel like a different person with new energy, new enthusiasm, new passion for life. Being rested is not just about being awake - it's about being able to devote myself completely to whatever is before me every single moment of the day.

I find that I feel amazing and have a seemingly unlimited amount of time during the day to get things done.

No comments: