Sunday, March 3, 2013

Don't just hope...

Less than a week ago, my Uncle Lawrence died after an 8-month battle with the tyrant we call cancer. He was extraordinary in the very ordinary things of life. The world is richer, and a better place, because he lived.

There is a memory that refuses to leave me. With my cousin, I was a pallbearer - pushing his coffin in the church. A couple of images etched themselves in my mind at that moment.

The last image I have of him, is one of him laughing at my home during the Chinese New year reunion dinner. Another image is one of his excitement when we were planning that reunion dinner on Chirstmas Day in Kuala Lumpur. I treasure those memories now that he is gone.

His dying has taught me one lesson: take time to get to know the people you love, deeply, for one day they will no longer be there, and when that day comes we will all wish we had known them better. Great relationships don't come to those who hope for them. Hope is worthless unless coupled with real effort. Great relationships belong to those who decide to put in effort and make them a priority. Don't just hope...decide!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

He was so very proud and pleased to have dined at your home. To see the surroundings you have made your own. It reassured him that you are now grown and a man of your own right. And that come what may (which did!) you'll do alright. Thank you for giving him a great outing.