Saturday, March 9, 2013

Success meaningless without failure

Marriott international gave me a Seizing the Future award in Washington DC last month.

That was a high point in my career and life. That achievement and recognition came at the end of a year when I'd endured many low points.

I strongly believe that if we really want to perform well, we can't be conscientious - it prevents us from thinking like an artist. To make a mistake and then worry about it and sit down and figure out what went wrong and spend the rest of our Ives apologising for it is lack of confidence.

Many I know are concerned with perfection. Conservative ones are quick to calculate risks and get terrified by them. They look at me like I'm a madman.

Why do some look at failure, disappointment and loss as the unthinkable, instead of regarding them as among life's most fundamental experiences? If you've never been discouraged in life, I know one thing for sure about you - you're not a very big dreamer. You can't enjoy bright days without the frame of reference of darker ones; success is meaningless without failure

No comments: