Saturday, September 8, 2012

People developer and talent cultivator

"We were trying our best but you don't seem to appreciate and yet said we were pussyfooting around," the feedback was blunt and brutal.

That was 1 area where I failed to put myself in other people's shows and see things their way. You might say I was arrogantly naive.

On the other hand, there are are occassions when I don't pull punches just to avoid hurting other colleagues' feelings. Getting an entire group to excel is worth any number of offended peers. Maybe it is best to simply accept the fact that excellence upsets some people. It always has and always will.

My leadership role has changed from order-giver to people-developer, from authoritarian boss to talent cultivator. Nowadays, I noticed that the most effective leaders work hard at showing people how to find their own solutions, and then get out of the way.

No comments: