Saturday, May 19, 2012

How we see ourselves is irrelevant

"We need to discuss what training we as leaders need to further develop our leadership skills,"Nancy stated on the telephone conference call.

When I 1st became a leader many milleniums ago, I didn't see a need to change my style since I had achieved success while being "one of the boys". I member of the gang can become its leader easily enough, I figured.

But I soon realized that how we see ourselves is irrelevant.

Having sought wise counsel, I have replaced the social interaction at the pub with regular, slightly more formal team meals. The risque jokes retreated into history. In meetings with my team, I often try to paint the big picture, positioning topics within the wider view of the company's goals and resources and helping people see how they fit in.

No comments: