Sunday, April 11, 2010

Decisions parents make

"I hate the midnight flight but I have to chauffeur my kid around tomorrow morning," Francis said at lunch time while chewing his Hong Shou pork.

Bachelors or hermits, responsible for no one but themselves, can make different choices than a husband and father. We parents must sort out priorities and divide our time between family, career and other activities.

I learned that we can do anything, but we can do everything - at least not at the same time. In a Hindu tradition, the 1st third of life is dedicated to education; the 2nd third, to marriage, family and career; and the final third to inner development and spiritual exploration. This traditional cycle may not apply to all of us, but it seems worthwhile to consider.

Today, after all the paths I've travelled, I've come to realise that my family and loved ones and my service in the world have blessed my life in many ways far more profound that all the drinking, football or clubbing. During this stage in my life, I want to enjoy my family and loved ones while I can - make them a priority while I have them.

No comments: