Sunday, February 18, 2018

Be Authentic. Not perfect.

"He cheats like hell!" Suzann Pettersen said of President Donald Trump. Suzann is a LPGA star who has won two majors and 15 tour events and has known Trump for more than a decade.

People will forgive anything except hypocrisy. Give up being perfect for being authentic. It's not our abilities that show what we truly are...it's our choices.

We're all going to make mistakes. It's unavoidable. We forgive this, because it happens to all of us. But we have a problem with people who turn out not to be who we thought they were.

I have been told earlier in my life that I was ruthless. That I didn't care about anyone or anything; but just did what I had to do to get the next job done. These days, I know what a mistake that was, and realized I wanted to be sensitive to the people I worked with and to their lives. It works. The results prove it.

When we have wronged someone or broken his or her trust, it is our responsibility to make it right. A sincere apology process should include acknowledging that really happened and that feelings are hurt. Be willing to apologize for your role in the matter first.


Doing, not saying, builds trust. Some people may say, "Trust me," but that doesn't mean people will.  If a salesperson whom you just met and hardly know says, "Just trust me," what is your first reaction? It is not trust! In fact, it is likely to be suspicion. Trust increases or decreases with every interaction.  It is earned by the actions that are taken.

 

No comments: