Sunday, February 4, 2018

Simplicity has power

One in 10 Europeans are conceived on an Ikea bed. This was reported in a New York Times article although I don't think it meant within the actual store.

Less is More. Simplicity therapy. These are words synonymous with IKEA.

As I look around in my travels, I see an awful lo of people just surviving, just hanging on or just getting by. Too many people place importance on unimportant things. These folks get stuck on small things and then find it hard to move beyond them - small mistakes, small insults and small-minded people. Many of us complicate our lives by expending more time, energy and effort than necessary - getting involved in other people's business, playing God, committing to tasks, making promises, creating more busywork.

Consider this: what you do today must be important, because you are exchanging a day in your life for it.

In the greater scheme of things, we can identify the major things by asking "Is this situation going to make a difference a year from now?", "in 5 years, will you remember it at all?"

I can think of so many things in my life that I thought were major when they happened. Now I can't believe I was so hung up on them at that time. These incidents don't matter anymore, and they haven't changed my life or affected my livelihood.

Simplifying doesn't necessarily mean avoiding essential responsibilities or duties; rather it means eliminating unnecessary complexity - taking life in smaller bites, setting priorities, finding your focus.

If we want to dig a well to reach water, we are better off digging one 100-meter deep hole, than digging 10 holes each 10 meters deep. It is a difficult truth, but a liberating one. All truth is, I suppose.




 

No comments: