Sunday, April 30, 2017

How will you be remembered?

Inventor Richard Browning showcased his “Iron Man-inspired” homemade suit equipped with miniature jet engines by taking off and flew uninterrupted for around 10 minutes"The whole journey was about trying and failing, and learning from that," Browning said.

Life is an experiment. 

 All too often, through our 20s, our choices were a mix of hope and guesswork. Jobs and relationships become a series of learning experiences as life doesn't work out as we might have hoped or planned. If only we had known then what we know now...

There is no best career. There are both satisfied and dissatisfied people in medicine, sales, law, teaching and every line of work. In my own search for career and calling, I traveled a winding path. After passing my O Levels,  I studied computer science because, in 1981, I was told that the future was in computing, but ended up now as a sales leader.

Martin Luther King Jr, has this to say: Whatever your life work is, do it well. Do it so well that no one else could do it better. If it falls on your lot to be a street sweeper, sweep streets like Michelangelo painted pictures, like Shakespeare wrote poetry, like Beethoven composed music; sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will have to pause and say, "Here lived a great street sweeper."

When you have a choice, choose the best. When you have no choice, do your best.

Time decides who we meet in life. Our heart decides who we want in our lives. And our behavior decides who stays in our lives.

We all slip into the "poor me" mode at times. I am not about to preach "positivity." The fact is, pain and difficulty are not fun - I speak from my own experiences.

Day by day, time seems to move slowly. If you're a parent, you know that one day your struggle to get your child to eat and then, before you can turn around, he's grown up and left home. As a leader, each day doesn't seem to make a huge difference, but before we know it, those days have added up to weeks, months, and even years or decades you've spent with people.

Sometimes, at the end of every day, I try to look back and wonder whether I made a difference, where I encourage someone, teach someone, invested in someone and see him/her stronger as a result. Are the people in my team better because of their time with me? That's a simple but powerful test of my leadership. Long after everything fades away, it is our influence, our relationships and how we impact the people around us - these things endure.


 

No comments: