Sunday, April 2, 2017

Do unto others

Since 1998, Fortune has been publishing a list of America's Best Companies to Work For. Last month, Google maintained the top spot on that list for the 6th year running.

It is no big secret by now that employees at that company are extremely well fed, getting healthy and varied breakfast, lunch, and even dinner if they stay late — for free. They are treated to massages, have access to wellness centers and a whole range of leisure activities and get extended time off to follow their passions outside the workplace.

Maya Angelou: "People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel."

On a personal front, as I get older I increasingly enjoy helping others reach their goals. I enjoy being generative. I particularly enjoy demonstrating genuine concern for others' well-being, being friendly because I want to, not because I want something in return. True kindness feels special precisely because it's given as a gift, rather than a loan.

We can see and enjoy every sight around the world, experience every luxury pleasure. But when we look back on our lives and review our memories, I am sure, none of it will match the delight of bringing a smile to someone's face.

On the flip side of the coin, there are people who disappoint me at times - they don't follow through on commitments, or stick to their word, or are reliable. Like the saying goes: "The more I encounter these people, the more I love my dog."

It's times like that, that I hold on to the Law of the Garbage Truck which says: Many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they look for a place to dump it. And if you let them, they’ll dump it on you. So when someone wants to dump on you, don’t take it personally. Just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on. Believe me. You’ll be happier.

These annoyances are like ant bites...it shall not ruin my picnic.


 

No comments: