Sunday, May 22, 2016

Make it about them

My description on my Carousell app reads: "I am not here to sell you anything. I am here to help you buy."

Why do we like to shop, but hate to be sold? Because shopping is ours, selling is theirs.

As a sales professional and a leader, I try to learn this powerful tool...to look at people through a different lens: theirs!

We cannot assume that what gets us out of bed in them morning is the same thing that motivates others. I believe that it is essential as a leader to understand, appreciate and embrace what gets other people "up"for a task and excited about their work.

One thing I try to do is that whenever speaking with my team, customers and other audiences, I try to make it about them -not about me. When you are a leader, you may notice that people crowd around to speak with you because of your position. Naturally , they are going to ask you questions and before you know it, you're talking about yourself.

I painfully found out that this is especially true in a presentation or speech. Most presentations start with "me-ness." It's important that the audience know something about us and our company. There are ways to communicate this information so we can focus on the people in the audience right at the onset and focus our presentation so it resonates at their frequency instead of ours.

We are not the hero who will save the audience. The audience is our hero.



No comments: