Sunday, February 28, 2016

Disconnecting is not as easy as it seems

“If there was one single factor that helped this team to perform to the level they did at Atlanta, it was the recovery program that was put in place…and monitored throughout our 1996 program.” Barry Barnes Head Coach, Australian Men’s Basketball, 1996 Atlanta Olympic Report 
 

According to The Nest, stars like Maria Sharapova uses progressive muscle relaxation techniques between points, games or sets. It's not their experience or ability that sets these sports stars apart...it's what they do between points.

How often do you check your mobile phone after leaving work?

Staying connected is addictive. In "Happy, healthy, and productive: The role of detachment from work during non-work time" the American Psychological Association pointed out that when we can't fully log off, we can't fully recover and when we deny ourselves the opportunity to recuperate, our performance invariably suffers.

In my previous lives, being available around the clock was an unspoken expectation. When the boss sends a curt email, it can spoil a dinner or ruin a weekend.

When I started out as a sales leader millenniums ago, it used to be the case that I had to push my team to work harder. Today, I find myself trying to protect my top talent from working nonstop. I know they will be able to achieve unprecedented performance if they disconnect.


No comments: