Saturday, January 23, 2016

Changes in the balance of power

Dad turns 77 today.

Even though adults may have been independent for a long time, the love between parent and adult child often still carries some of the taste of childhood dependence. Parents still maintain the flavour of wisdom and experience, still wield the power of approval and disapproval. As they age into frailty, their new dependence on their grown children throws all established patterns into chaos.

For me, along with changes in the balance of power, some changes in the nature of love. I find myself feeling protective of my parents in new and disquieting ways. Just as I was once under the cover of their umbrella, they now seek shelter under mine. I give up a love that depends upon my parents and assume a new kind of love that is responsible for their welfare.

No comments: