Saturday, August 3, 2013

Fuse getting longer

I watched the movie "42" yesterday inboard SQ865. The movie was about Jackie Robinson a negro baseball player who never takes racism lying down. He became the first African American Major League player. He struggles against his nature to endure unrelenting racist hostility on and off the pitch from players and fan alike.

As a teenager I had quite a temper. They called me the executioner on the football field. I took myself too seriously and would lose my temper at the drop of a hat. I would throw stuff, bang flipchart boards down and yes, scream and shout. I look back now and wondered where that person went.

I had mentors at work who taught me the way of character and the power of virtue in our lives. Over the years I developed in mind me heart, increasing my self-control. My fuse was getting longer. I am working to be a man who walks calmly, thinks calmly and acts calmly, even under pressure - especially under pressure.

No comments: