Saturday, April 20, 2013

Second adulthood

"Though the work makes you very busy, as long as you're happy, that's the most important thing," Clement said philosophically on the phone.

When I moved from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore in June 2005, it was an opportunity to have a new beginning, a clean slate. I have a second adulthood ahead of me.

8 years down the road, I have to confess that this is my favourite time of life. I love making the business at my work place grow, seeing the production numbers increase, and adding to the value of the company I work in.

These 8 years has been a great epic journey of mature life and everyday itself is its own dividend. Returns on investment, returns on relationship, returns on effort. Sure it's a risk. But with risk comes adventure.

Now that I have identified my mainspring, I can choose to give myself in a focused way to that which supports my mission. That is immeasurably liberating. I also have built up some reserve to provide security. I have a much larger knowledge base, a network. I know how to work smarter versus working harder and all these resources make this time of my life better. I also know how to play through pain...things that might laid me low 10 years ago, is not as devastating to me. I'm tougher, mentally. That's a tremendous comfort as I head out into the unknown.

No comments: