Saturday, March 31, 2012

The telephone interview

"I have completed the telephone interview of both the candidates,"Chui Fung informed me.
Odds are good that you will experience telephone interviews during your job search. Perhaps the most important consideration about telephone interviews is that the employer has only his ears with which to judge you. How you perform will determine whether you move ahead or bite the dust.
Keep up your end of the conversation by giving verbal signals that you are engaged in the conversation. Comments like "uh-huh,""that's interesting,""yes", "great", and "I see"are verbal equivalents of the body language techniques we use to show interest during a face-to-face meeting.
On a personal note, on the few telephone interviews I went through as a candidate, I've found that standing for the interview calms the adrenaline a little, helps my breathing, and allows me to sound confident and relaxed. It might work for you, so give it a try.

No comments: